Güvenlik Eğitimi Araştırma Merkezi
Necatibey Cad. No: 108
Major: Public Administration and Management
Minor: Policy Analysis
University Of North Texas, Denton, TX
PhD in Public Administration and Management
January 2006 - August 2009
Police Leadership Training
University Of Texas, Dallas, TX
Graduate Certificate in Leadership and Management Development School of Management
Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY
Master of Science in Criminal Justice
February 2005-December 2005
Center for Leadership Studies
Situational Leadership Training
University of North Texas, Denton
Intensive English Language Institute Program
August 2004 – December 2004
Course on Pedagogy (the methods of teaching and lecturing)
TNP Department of Computer and Information
March 2002- May 2002
Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Human Rights Education
Turkish National Police Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Bachelor of Criminal Justice
Sep 1995 – June 1999
Turkish National Police Academy, Ankara, TURKEY - December 2009-Present
- Research Expert
- Trainings Given
- Train the Trainers
- To the Members of Balkan Countries Law Enforcement Agencies (November 2009)
- To the members of Afghan Law Enforcement (October 2010) and (June 2011) (2 Times)
- To the Members of Colombo Plan Countries Law Enforcement Agencies (November 2010)
- Leadership and Administration
- To Police Managers of Somalia
- Ethical Police Leadership
- Ethics in Law Enforcement
- Time Management
- Effective Presentation Skills
- Employee Motivation
- To the Top-Level Police Administrators of the Country of Kosovo Police
- Classes Taught
- Research Methods (Graduate School)
- Leadership and Administration (Undergraduate Level)
- Police Administration (Undergraduate Level)
- Police Vocational Law (Undergraduate Level)
- Train the Trainers
Police College, Ankara, TURKEY - August 2009 – December 2009
- Head of the Department of Research and Development
University of North Texas, Denton - January 2008- May 2009
- Teaching Assistant
- Teaching Fellow
- Classes taught:
- Financial Aspect of Government
- Public Policy Analysis
- Public Administration
The American Society of Criminology - November 2008
- Chair of Session 71 “Criminal Justice Policy and Practice” at the 60th Annual Meeting
Police College, Ankara, TURKEY - July 1999 – August 2004
- Acted as an Administrator of the Bureau of Sport
- Acted as an Education Adviser
- Acted in Class Superiority Unit
- Taught classes in general police training, leadership, motivation, and self-improvement
- Acted as the Editor of Police College Monthly Journal
- Studied self-improvement, leadership, human rights, and administration
- Counseled high school students
International Strategic Research Forum (ISREF) - January 2008-Present
- Regional Correspondent
TIPS Connections, Semi-Journal - Fall 2006
- Section Editorial work for the 1st issue
Monthly Newspaper “Pulse” - September 2000-June 2001
- Editor in Chief
INSERVICE TRAININGS RECEIVED
- Train the Trainers Course, July 2010
- Gazi University, Pedagogic Formation, June 2003
- Course for First Aid, May 2003
- Computer Education Programs, May 2002
- PC Course, March 2002
- Advanced Shooting Techniques and Tactics Course, August 2000
- Shooting Techniques and Tactics Course, June 2000
- Educational Administration and Planning Course, August 1999
- Experienced Public Administrator as a Manager for 13 years
- Specialist in Criminal Justice
- Specialist in Sociological Theories (Classical Theories & Contemporary Theories)
- Specialist in Public Policy
- Specialist in Policy Analysis
- Specialist in Public Administration
- Specialist in Motivation Theories
- Specialist in Civic Engagement in Public Service
- Can teach classes in Public Policy, Policy Analysis, Public Administration, Management, Financial Aspect of Government, and Research Methods.
- Languages: English, Turkish
AWARDS AND HONORS
- College of Public Affairs and Community Service Student Travel Grant Spring 2009
- Teaching Fellowship Spring 2009
- Teaching Fellowship Fall 2008
- Teaching Fellowship Summer 2008
- Robert B. Toulouse School of Graduate Studies Graduate Student Travel Grant Spring 2008
- Who’s Who Graduate Award April 2008
- University of North Texas Kent Bowman Scholarship Spring 2008
- Teaching Assistantship 2008
- IEFS Scholarship Summer 2007
- Academic Achievement Scholarship Spring 2007
- Academic Achievement Scholarship Summer 2006
- IEFS Scholarship Summer 2006
- American Society for Criminology
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Turkish Scientific Research Institute (TUBITAK)
- The Government Executive
PROJECTS & SOCIAL EXPERIENCE
- Organizing Committee member of the First Annual International Association of Police Academies (INTERPA) Conference: Comparative Police Education, Antalya Turkey, 24-27 April 2012.
- Science and Advisory Committee member of the Symposium on Crime Prevention in Bursa, Turkey, 7-8 October, 2011.
- Organizing Committee member of the Conference on International Balkan Countries Police Training (BALPEK) in Nazilli, Aydın, Turkey, 26-27 Nisan 2011.
- Organizing Committee member of the Conference on Modern Practices in Police Training in Ankara, Turkey, 6-7 April 2011.
- Project Coordinator of “Law Enforcement Basic Training in Turkey: Problems and Solutions” between December 2009 and December 2010.
- Organizing Committee member of the Conference “Law Enforcement Basic Training” in Kızılcahamam, Turkey, 23-25 December 2010.
- Organizing Committee member of the conference “New Developments in Turkish National Police” in Ankara, Turkey, 9-10 April 2010.
- Program Director of Organizing Committee for Police Day Celebration, Center for the Visual Arts, 17th of April, 2008.
- Helping to organize the Study Abroad Program in Turkey, spring 2008.
- Taking part in UNT International Week Activities, 2008
- Organizing Committee member of the “2nd International Conference on Democracy and Global Security” in Istanbul, Turkey June 2007.
- Taking part in UNT International Week Activities, 2007.
- Community Development Project, Matzamilla, Jalisco, Mexico May 16-30, 2006.
- Organizing Committee member for the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Understanding and Responding to Terrorism; A Multidimensional Approach, Washington, DC September 8-9, 2006.
- Organizing Diversity Management Panel at the Department of Public Administration, 2006.
- Taking part in UNT International Week Activities, 2006.
- Organizing Committee member of the “International Roundtable on Police Challenges in the 21st Century” in Somerset, KY October 2005.
Gültekin, Sebahattin (2012, Ed.). Güvenlik Hizmetlerinde Risk Yönetimi (Risk Management in Law Enforcement), Ankara: Polis Akademisi Yayınları.
Kaptı, Alican and Gültekin, Sebahattin (2012, Ed.). Polis Eğitim Sistemleri (Police Training Systems), Ankara: Polis Akademisi Yayınları.
Karakaya, Muhittin and Gültekin, Sebahattin (2011, Ed.). Suçla Mücadelede Yeni Yaklaşımlar: Toplum Destekli Polislik Teori ve Uygulamaları (New Perspectives on Crime Prevention: The Theory and Applications of Community Policing), Polis Akademisi Yayınları, Ankara, Turkey.
PUBLICATIONS IN JOURNALS
Gültekin, Sebahattin (in Review) Kamu Yöneticileri ve Kamu Politikası: Kamu Yönetimi Paradigmaları Çerçevesinde Teorik Bir Analiz (Public Administrators and Public Policies: A Theoretical Analysis in the content of Paradigms of Public Administration), Journal of Economics and Administrative Sciences.
Gultekin, Kubra ve Gultekin Sebahattin (2012). “Is juvenile boot camp policy effective?” International Journal of Human Sciences 9 (1), s.725-740.
Gultekin, Sebahattin (2011). “New Public Management: Is it Really New?” International Journal of Human Sciences, 8(2), s. 344-358.
Gultekin, Sebahattin, Kaptı, Alican ve Gultekin, Kübra (2011). “Public Policy in The Age of Terrorism: Are Government Policies Vulnerable to Terrorist Activities?” International Journal of Security and Terrorism, 2(1), s. 83-99.
Gultekin, Sebahattin ve Gultekin, Recep (2011). Toplum Destekli Polislik: Sorun mu Çözüm mü? (Community Policing: A Solution or Problem?), Türk İdare Dergisi , 470.sayı, s. 93-112.
Ulkemen, Sinan ve Gültekin, Sebahattin (2010). “Measuring the Relative Efficiency of City Police Departments in Turkey by Using Data Envelopment Analysis” Polis Bilimleri Dergisi, 12(2), s. 125-144.
PUBLICATIONS IN BOOKS
Gültekin, Sebahattin (2012). Risk Yönetimi ve Güvenlik Hizmetleri (Risk Management and Law Enforcement). “Güvenlik Hizmetlerinde Risk Yönetimi” S. Gültekin (ed.), s.11-22, Ankara: Polis Akademisi Yayınları.
Gültekin, Sebahattin (2012). Güvenlik Hizmetlerinde Etkin Risk Yönetimi (Effective Risk Management in Law Enforcement). “Güvenlik Hizmetlerinde Risk Yönetimi” S. Gültekin (ed.), s.211-216, Ankara: Polis Akademisi Yayınları.
Gultekin, Sebahattin ve Güler, Ahmet (2011). Terrorism and Public Administration: An Evaluation of the Impacts of Terror Attacks on Public Service, “Multi-Faceted Approach to Radicalization in Terrorist Organizations” İ.Bal, S.Özeren, M.A.Sözer (eds.), s.197-208, IOS Press: Amsterdam.
Gültekin, Sebahattin (2011). Politika Yenilik ve Yayılım Modeli (The Theoretical Models of Policy Innovation and Diffusion). “Kamu Politika Süreci: Teorik Perspektifler” A. Kaptı (ed.), Seçkin Yayınevi: Ankara.
Gultekin, Sebahattin (2011). Modern Polis Birimlerinin Temel Değerleri (Main Values of Modern Police Organizations). In “Polis Teşkilatında Lider Yöneticilik” T. Göksu (ed.), Polis Akademisi Yayınları, Ankara, Turkey.
Gultekin, Sebahattin (2011). Polis Liderlik Prensipleri (Leadership in Law Enforcement). In “Polis Teşkilatında Lider Yöneticilik” T. Göksu (ed.), Polis Akademisi Yayınları, Ankara, Turkey.
Gultekin, S. (2011). Demokratikleşen Güvenlik Anlayışı: Türk Polis Teşkilatında Demokratik Polislik Uygulamaları (Democratic Policing: New İmplementations in Turkish National Police). in “Suçla Mücadelede Yeni Yaklaşımlar” M. Karakaya ve S. Gültekin (eds.), Polis Akademisi Yayınları, Ankara, Turkey.
Gultekin, S., Kapti, A. ve Karakaya, M. (2010). Motivasyon Teorileri Perspektifinde Polis Memurlarının Motivasyon Analizi (Analyzing Police Motivation in the Lights of Motivation Theories). in “Polis Teşkilatında İnsan Kaynakları Yönetimi” H:H. Çevik, M. Buçak, and O. Filiz (eds.), Polis Akademisi Yayınları, Ankara, Turkey.
Gultekin, S., Ulkemen, S., Kapti, A., and Akdogan, H. (2008). Mexico Police Administration Structure, in “Karşılaştırmalı Polis Yönetimi” H.H. Çevik (ed.), Strateji Geliştirme Dairesi Başkanlığı, Ankara, Turkey.
Gultekin, S. and Benavides, A. (2007). Responding to Terrorist Attacks within the Labyrinth of Independent Governments: Collaborating and Quarrelling in “Understanding and Responding Terrorism” H. Durmaz et al. (eds.), NATO Security through Science Series. E: Human and Societal Dynamics- Vol 19. IOS Press Amsterdam, Netherlands.
“Police Training System in Turkey” 1st Annual INTERPA Conference: Comparative Police Education, 24-27 April 2012. Antalya, Turkey.
“Terrorism and Public Administration: Do Terrorist Attacks Affect Public Service?” 2nd International Conference on Global Terrorism and Transnational Crimes, 7-9 December, 2010. Antalya, Turkey.
“Terror and Police Productivity: the Case for Turkish National Police.” The Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, 46th Annual Meeting, “Theorizing Criminal Justice: Practical Applications for the Field,” March 10-14, 2009. Boston, MA.
“Designing Safer Neighborhoods: Can Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) Succeed?” at 60th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology (ASC) “Reinvigorating Theory Through Diversity and Inclusiveness”, November 12-15, 2008. St. Louis, MO.
“Law Enforcement and Productivity: A Quantitative Analysis of Police Efficiency” at 60th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology (ASC) “Reinvigorating Theory Through Diversity and Inclusiveness”, November 12-15, 2008. St. Louis, MO.
“Civic Engagement and Law Enforcement Agencies: Tools for Citizen Participation in Turkish National Police.” American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) May 12, 2008. Lakeland, FL.
“Crime Control: Does Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Work?” 45th Annual Meeting of Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS) “American Justice: Rhetoric or Reality?”, March 11-15, 2008. Cincinnati, OH.
“Measuring the Efficiency of Provincial Police Forces in Turkey: An Application of DEA.” 45th Annual Meeting of Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS) “American Justice: Rhetoric or Reality?”, March 11-15, 2008. Cincinnati, OH.
“An Analysis of the Relationship between Police Officers’ Education Levels and Their Job Performance in Turkey.” American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) Annual Conference, March 2008. Dallas, TX.
“Organizational Aspects of Police Deviance: An Overview” Second International Istanbul Conference on Global Security and Democracy, June 14-16, 2007. Istanbul, Turkey.
“Responding to Terrorist Attacks within the Labyrinth of Independent Governments: Collaborating and Quarrelling.” NATO-TIPS Advance Research Workshop: Understanding and Responding to Terrorism: A Multi-Dimensional Approach. September 2006. Washington, D.C.
“The Impact of Global Economic Trends on Poverty: A Case Study-Turkey.” The International Conference on “Future without Poverty.” 25-26 May 2006, Sayula, Jalisco, Mexico.
“The Development of Terrorism Emergency Management.” Symposium – Natural and Other Disasters: Public Administration Lessons Learned. American Society for Public Administration (ASPA), Southeastern Conference for Public Administration (SECoPA) 2006. Carl Vinson Institute of Government. Athens, GA.
“Measuring the Efficiency of Public Service Organizations: Assessing the Efficiency of Turkish National Police.” Southeast Conference on Public Administration (SECoPA) September 2006. Athens, GA.
“Exploring the Police Efficiency in Turkey thorough Data Envelopment Analysis.” Poster presentation at the University of North Texas, School of Community Service Research Workshop. April, 2006. Denton, TX.
PRESENTATIONS – NATIONAL
“The Philosophy of Democratic Policing in Turkey.” Türk Polis Teşkilatında Yeni Gelişmeler Sempozyumu (Symposium on New Developments in Turkish Police), April 2010. Ankara, Turkey.
“Problems and solutions in Law Enfrocement Training.” Türk Polis Teşkilatında Yeni Gelişmeler Sempozyumu (Symposium on New Developments in Turkish Police), April 2010. Ankara, Turkey.
“International Symposium on Governance of Intelligence in Democratic Countries: Problems and Solutions” 24-26 September, 2010. Istanbul, Turkey.
1st International Istanbul Conference on Democracy and Global Security, June 7-9, 2005. Istanbul, Turkey.
42nd Annual Meeting of Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS) March 2005, Chicago, Illinois.