Admission to the MPA program is based on an assessment of an applicant's ability and potential to meet the demands of a rigorous graduate program. Each application is considered using multiple criteria, including the student's academic performance and potential, as well as other materials that you may submit to the department.
The only materials required for admissions are completion of the online application form and submission of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts from previous universities and colleges.
The admissions review process begins once the application and transcripts are received. Students should inform the MPA program if they plan on submitting additional supporting materials for consideration. Once a decision is made, the Toulouse Graduate School will send notification via mail. The Department of Public Administration will also send further information to students accepted into the program. Please follow those instructions to facilitate your matriculation.
Please note that application materials for Fall 2018 will be accepted no later than July 31, 2018. The admission deadline for the Spring 2019 semester is December 15, 2018.
The application process is detailed below.
Step 1: Submit an online application.
Application for admission to the MPA program is made directly to the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies using the online form by clicking the Apply Texas link below. Be sure to select the major that says "MPA" in its title. The application fee is $75 and nonrefundable.
We accept applications year-round. Students can begin their studies in fall, spring or summer. Applicants who are pursuing scholarships or awards should apply by the dates associated with particular scholarships.
Step 2: Submit transcripts to the Toulouse Graduate School.
Request official academic credentials from all colleges and universities you have attended. Official transcripts are required from every college or university you have attended. Contact the colleges and universities you have attended about their processes for providing official transcripts. If you already have a degree from the University of North Texas you are not required to provide your UNT transcript to the Toulouse Graduate School as we will be able to obtain this from the Registrar's office for you. Please send transcripts to the following:
By U.S. Postal Service:
The transcripts must show you have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution (or equivalent).
Graduate applicants are evaluated holistically. If your undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0 for the last 60 hours of coursework, we strongly recommend the submission of additional supporting materials discussed below.
The submission of additional supporting materials is not mandatory, but additional materials may strengthen your case for admission. The following are examples of materials that may strengthen an application portfolio.
- GRE scores for all three parts of the GRE General Test (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing) is an important way to strengthen your application. We strongly recommend the submission of GRE scores if the applicant’s GPA is less than 3.0 for the last 60 hours of the undergraduate program. The GRE General Test is not required for admission to the MPA program, but some scholarships do require GRE scores. For students applying for scholarships, the GRE is required for many scholarship applicants. GRE scores for all three parts of the GRE General Test (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing) should be taken. Request that official test score reports from the testing agency be sent to the Toulouse Graduate School. The UNT school code for the GRE is 6481.
- TOEFL scores or other evidence of English proficiency (such as IELI completion) for international students.
- Letters of recommendation attesting to intellectual and leadership abilities.
- A written essay by the applicant describing career objectives and explaining how an MPA degree will help meet those objectives.
- A current resume showing all work experience.
- Other evidence that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform satisfactory work at the graduate level.
Please submit any additional materials by mail to the following address or by email to MPA Admissions.
Department of Public Administration
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle, #310617
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Step 3: Complete the basic scholarship application.
The MPA programs offers more than $110,000 per year in scholarships. We strongly recommend that every applicant apply for a scholarship by completing the general scholarship application that takes about five to ten minutes. Additional information is on the MPA Scholarship page.